Artoonix

Your creation, your inspiration
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:21 am 

OK - I know this isn't 2d, but I recommend a search for MUVIZU. There are masses of examples and sets of tutorials on Youtube. The program is still under development, but is being well supported. There is also a very active forum. (What a nice change!!!) I posted a quick 'First Impressions' message with a couple of suggestions and got a fast response.

http://www.muvizu.com/Landing.aspx

Unusually, even during many previous tours around the internet, I never had any hits that pointed to the extistence of this program. It was only after hearing mention of it on the BBC technology program 'Click' that I found it. That's when I discovered the huge archive of examples, demos and tutorials.

The style of animation is very cartoon-like which is something I MUCH prefer to those programs like DAZ3D or Moviestorm in which the characters are very UNrealistic versions of humans. The characters in Muvizu make no attempt to be realistic, so if you like the kinds of style that you find in newspaper cartoon strips or comics, then I think you'll love this.

The program is also massively more easy to use than something like Moviestorm. If you want a quick insight - this text is extracted and adapted from a site which explains the basis for the program ...

... the software is based around direction, not animation. It differs from machinima in that you can jump straight into narrative; you can get to work on the movie immediately, and tweak it bit by bit.
From File, New… a character appears - blinking, and ready to animate. Slap some clothes on him, add a speech soundtrack - the eyes and mouth synchronise to lipsync automatically - and drop in a set, and you have a very quick animation ...

One slight warning for anyone who isn't a UK resident - the development team work out of Glasgow and the folks who narrate some of their tutorials have gentle Scots accents. But as so many tutorials for other programs or products often have heavy American or East European accents, this shouldn't be any problem!

Have a look - it's worth it.

If you want to find out about the origins of the program and the intentions of the developers, follow this link ...

http://myclone.wordpress.com/2010/07/16 ... of-muvizu/

What is really interesting and noticeable is the sheer number of excellent animations that are posted. Every time I log into the home page, their intro screen shows whole sets of new uploads - many of them by new or first-time users. The speed of answers in the forum is also excellent.

The fact that the BBC recently reviewed the program has clearly given it a big boost - it's a shame Artoonix never got that kind of exposure.

Last edited by KayNine on Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:55 pm 

I've uploaded my own promo for Muvizu.
I used Artoonix to add the text, but the movie is primarily a simple demo of Muvizu. (The robot moves were put together in about 5 minutes - it was that easy).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHYYDO4E5QY

I've since stripped out the text for the promo, added a slightly modified wavefile for the voice and let Multizu do the automatic lip-sync. The robot isn't the best type of character for this as the jaw basically opens and closes, but the 'oo' sound does cause an additional mouth shape to be shown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziOX3xY_fOA

As I've commented in the Muvizu forum, my computer is too old to handle the processing power needed for anything complex, but my next project is to try using and editing one of the other types of character and to see how far I can push it before the CPU decides to fry itself!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've now uploaded a project which combines Muvizu and Artoonix ... but this isn't something I aim to try very often. The project really did demonstrate that although Artoonix is superb for simple animation projects, it works incredibly slowly when tweening complex sequences. (Anyone familiar with my previous uploads will notice that the sequence of the sea, a ship and a girl is a re-drawn and re-made version of part of my 'Showreel' project. It took hours and HOURS and HOURS!) By contrast, the sailor took barely an hour to animate and render.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZGt92BXCMk