Artoonix

Your creation, your inspiration
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: WHY!?!?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:38 pm 

I uploaded my last toon http://www.artoonix.com/UploadedFiles/T ... ef%202.swf

but when I look it the black hole the toon get stuck! Can someone delete it? I'll try to upload it in another format cause this doen't work!!

Post subject: Re: WHY!?!?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

Well, it's deleted... But I've explored your movie file before.
If my guess is right it seems you have a frame with extremely small time delay in your project.
Because a frame rate for swf format based on the frame with a minimal frame delay... so, if you have any frame in your project the time delay of which is 0 you will have infinite frame rate. Artoonix ignores such frames.
If it is not 0 but very small then a total count of frames is total_movie_duration divided on minmal_time_delay. Well, there are 21467 frames in the thief 2 movie. But SWF players can support only 16000.
I suggest you revise your movie and just delete \"dead\" frames with the time delay less then 25 milliseconds. A human eye never sees it anyway.

BTW, with AVI format you don't have such restrictions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:41 pm 

Hi Riccardo.

You are an experienced Artoonix user, so I assume you've explored the 'OPTIONS' menu and seen that under 'MOVIE' you can alter the pre-set for Frames per second.

In case you haven't done the math (or for anyone else who is curious), the relationships are pretty much as follows:

FPS 1 = an individual frame timing of 0.01.000
FPS 8 = an individual frame timing of 0.00.125
FPS 16 = an individual frame timing of 0.00.062 (default)
FPS 24 = an individual frame timing of 0.00.042 (smoother)

FPS 30 = an individual frame timing of 0.00.033 (maximum allowed)

You can (as you've obviously discovered) alter any and all frames, but as a general rule, it's best to keep to a steady FPS.

Working from Andrei's excellent notes, I'm wondering if you're using tweening and leaving the 'Auto' setting ticked. I've done this before and you can easily end up with a VERY fast FPS setting. You need to plan ahead and now I always use the CUSTOM setting and set it to whatever FPS rate applies to the whole animation.

The Artoonix default seems to be FPS 16 although in the past I often preferred to change this to 24 for smoother animations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

KayNine, you are absolutely right about \"options\" and the \"frame rate\" when you speak about the \"movie\" as a term. But \"movie\" is the same as AVI in Artoonix, not SWF. For the SWF export these movie settings are not applied and the frame rate is calculating with the way mentioned in my previous post - taking in account a minimal time delay of project frames.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:19 pm 

Good point Andrei, I forgot to make that distinction obvious - probably because I tend mostly to think in terms of AVI or, occasionally, GIF. Also, of course, I use AVI format for uploading to Youtube, which is where most of my full length projects end up.

For longer animations, AVI, and the controls offered by OPTIONS, make it much easier to create smaller file sizes .... and there is far less chance of lost synchronisation between movement and sound (which can easily happen in long conversions to SWF).

Thanks for pointing out the differences for any other users who are unclear about the differences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:08 pm 

Now I know why! Thanks to Andrei and KayNine! I have uploaded it in AVI in the gallery!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:39 pm 

And a good one it is, too.
A good example of simple, well-timed story-telling.

Another one for the 'Featured Gallery'?