Artoonix

Your creation, your inspiration
It is currently Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:56 am 

My latest upload to Youtube will, I'm now sure, be the last Artoonix movie of this style that I will make.

I think I’ve taken the use of multiple pans, opacity changes, dissolves, ipa exports and ipa imports about as far as I can. This latest project, although just less than a minute in length, took a lot of careful keyframe-preparation and is the best that I think I can achieve using those techniques within the current array of Artoonix’s Image Actions. Even so, it wasn't what I would call a complicated project - just one that needed care as I worked on it in bits and pieces of spare time. It was certainly a LOT easier to do than many of the long projects that I uploaded some time ago. Some of those really were tricky to do. This one was nowhere near as difficult. It was basically done in bursts of time using separate sets of keyframes and tweening.

--------------------------------------------------------

The movie consists of the following elements:

Four separate images of empty streets --
>>> One seen from above which is viewed using a vertical pan. During this, some figures slowly vanish.
>>> Three other images of different streets which are linked and revealed using another vertical pan and a continuous pan to the right at different speeds. The final street is used for a simultaneous zoom-in and fade-out effect.

Overlaid over almost the entire movie is the semi-transparent image of a girl’s head.

In the final section, the image of a telephone kiosk under a street light is seen and is used for several different transitions and effects. These include a colour change and the positioning of an image of a girl both inside and then outside the kiosk. The latter finally grows and ‘evaporates’ as a new full-screen image of a different face fills the screen, ending with a small 'jump cut' in sync with the end of the music.

With the exception of the very end, I chose to have either movement or a transition happening at all times. In my original draft version, I held some images on screen and static for several seconds to try to convey particular stages of the story that was in my head. I also had a few other semi-transparent figures in two of the scenes. Although it would have made the project longer and seem to be more complex, I decided to delete them all because all they really did was slow everything down for no real purpose.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In essence, the movie is a STORY WITHOUT WORDS .
The whole project was inspired by the piece of music that is played throughout its length.
The Artoonix sound functions were once again perfect for editing the soundtrack to a length of 53 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCy9duS8X8g

(Update - In my reply to Pennaz91's comment, I provide links to what will almost certainly be my last large Artoonix projects. I've transferred those notes from a separate post that I have now deleted)

Last edited by KayNine on Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:09 pm 

I did! But I still prefer your creepier experiments! Still very good! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:56 pm 

Glad you enjoyed 'Lost and Found'.

There were several tricky little challenges that had to be solved during its making - but hopefully they aren't too obvious when the movie is viewed.

I've pretty well stopped using Artoonix these days, but having used it for over 2 years, I think I can safely claim to know pretty well what types of thing can be done with it and how to experiment to get effects that I wanted to aim at.

So, even though my animation time is now mostly directed towards teaching myself a different program, I do find that Artoonix isideal for what I call 'coffee-time projects'. By this I mean projects that can started and stopped and picked up when I'm having a snack or a cup of coffee.

Cases in point are IF EYES ARE WINDOWS OF THE SOUL and LOST AND FOUND. They may well look complicated but they aren't - it's just a case of setting up separate sets of keyframes and then leaving the rest to Artoonix followed by a bit of tweaking and joining-together of tweened sequences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFGpk4XVzUM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCy9duS8X8g

In 'Eyes' I was playing around with a looser style of synchronising sound and movement. There isn't a regular beat that I wanted to use, so changes and key events were timed to coincide with particular changes in the music. I'll not post a walkthrough as I get the feeling that not many people read or use them.

One interesting thing about 'Eyes' was that it included two long sections which, after finishing the draft movie, I decided to delete because they didn't really fit in. I copied those sections and subsequently played around and re-edited them. These 'offshoot' movies are in the gallery as THE FACE and ROBOTICA. Those two mini projects were quick to do and were further examples of coffee-time fun.
http://www.artoonix.com/UploadedFiles/The%20Face.avi
http://www.artoonix.com/UploadedFiles/Robotica.avi

One day I hope to see others uploading more animations done with Artoonix which at least use a few of the techniques and tricks which have been described in this forum. However, there still seems to be a disheartening lack of evidence that this is happening. Maybe some future upgrade of the program will remove the 2 or 3 limitations that it has which at the moment to be insurmountable if you want to move into more challenging areas of animation.

We can only hope ....

For anyone who's interested, I've added a final update to the list of my Youtube uploads.
At the moment, I'm not planning any further Artoonix projects or uploads (except maybe one at Christmas which I've tried to do each year).

http://www.artoonix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1634