Artoonix

Your creation, your inspiration
It is currently Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:37 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:46 am 

Has anybody else noticed how really quiet the forum has become over the last month or more? .... apart, that is, from the pointless 'I'm new here' messages which seem to be aimed at either this or the 'Off topic' areas.

No updates of the 'Featured gallery' for ages.
No hints of any updates to Artoonix itself.
Almost no responses to queries or comments.
Very quiet.
Very, very quiet.

That's given me an idea: I think I can feel a surreal animation coming on.
Now where's my Pink Floyd CD of 'The Wall' .... ah, here it is .....

Hello.
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone at home?

Mmmmm - I've never used PF as the basis for a project. Until I decide - have this link as a treat. If nothing else, the forum will be a bit less quiet if you crank up the volume. And as a bonus you get the great DG from 2.29 and then again at full bore from 5.00 onwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWnapx50 ... re=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:54 pm 

Nice idea! Ehy man! Have you ever seen the animations of the \"salad fingers\" series? The guy who makes them have an extremely particular style: strange, spooky but attractive at the same time! If you have some time I think you should check some of his works (you can find them on YT); you'd find some ispiration for the style of your animations!

I'm only suggesting! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:37 pm 

Pennaz91 wrote:
Ehy man! Have you ever seen the animations of the "salad fingers" series?

Yes, I know the series well. I love the darkness and surreal style.
David Firth is one of my favourite animators on Youtube - I rate him as highly as I rate Graham Annable.

For anyone who doesn't know their respective very personal styles, try these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oykmawhKWhc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rc3FoOPT9Q

I was driving along this afternoon trying to plan a big project for Artoonix using either a Floyd track or one featuring a guitar instrumental that I really like. I haven't decided yet but I do want to try to develop a more effective style of my own. I've recently uploaded a few experiments using different styles that interest me, but I haven't settled on on particular favourite as yet. My problem is that Artoonix doesn't now seem to be quite the right tool for me to use as it won't let me do some of the things I want to try.

I'm not sure what David Firth or Graham Annable use, but I'm guessing it's something like Flash or maybe one of the more professional animation programs. (Which is why I want to dedicate a LOT more time to learning how to use ToonBoom 4.5)

Do you have anything new that you're working on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:03 pm 

I'm still working on a pretty big cartoon about the Metroid games, the last part of the trilogy! Plus I'm making some experiments like the \"little dinostration\", with hand-drawed frames!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:21 pm 

I have a good idea for a big project but I'm reluctant to start it with Artoonix because I can already see whole sections that would be VERY hard to do. Maybe I could use another program and import output into Artoonix, but to be honest I've recently lost a lot of enthusiasm for the program because I keep coming face to face with things it won't let me do - that's one reason why I've been thinking about trying to come up with a different, much less complicated style.

My last few big animations ended up with project files between 2gb and 4.5gb ---- which was ridiculous (and made the program run VERY slowly). I'm not doing that again.

It would be really useful to know what (if anything) is in the pipeline for any future upgrades of Artoonix -- but apart from some tweaks and improvements to drawing tools, I can't see how much further the program can go without it becoming very complex for youngsters to use.

I can't see that there will be any major implementations of amazing new functions - especially as the drawing tool is so obviously limited in what it can do and how it works when drawing curves. That couldn't be changed without making all existing projects incompatible.

The same goes for the single centre of rotation and the idea of linking objects with pins or bones. If that was ever introduced, all previous projects would also be incompatible.

So - where to go from here?

To be honest - I have no idea.