Artoonix

Your creation, your inspiration
It is currently Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:25 am 

Hey guys,

And KayNine, my apologies, 'cause you explained this once before in a very concise manner, when I posted my very first clip to the forum, but for the life of me, I can't find it!

When I export an animation, for the purposes of this discussion, say to my downloads file on my computer, the animation frames are not saved in the exact location and movement as the original frames-when I export as an .ipa file..

Say I have an image of a dancer- as the Kali in my latest video, and i create a separate project of ten frames, and she moves from right to left and is \"small\" in the frame.

I select the files from the draft video display at the left of the preview window, \"export the frames as files\" in the multi-frame right click, as a painting (.ipa) file, custom name ( Kali) subfolder or file name prefix, I have tried both, it saves the files , but the framesy are not saved correctly.
When I select the files to import, onto another project- you can see in the \" preview window\" that the image has been centered, and is large on the screen.
And no combination of \"as background\" \"fit to frame\", \"to frame center\" seems to fix it- it is imported as a large image in the middle of the frame.

The frames are saved correctly as gif, tiff and jpegs, but you can't layer the image on top.

Now movie clips I have no problem, as they have always imported full frame, and I work them with the Multi-frame properties once imported.

I have had to work around this importing problem, and it would save me a lot of time if I could get it to work properly- KayNine I know you use this all the time- I can't figure it out!
So there u have it- any advise would be appreciated! Sorry to be a bother.
EV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:52 am 

The previous chat on this theme may be the one in this thread

http://www.artoonix.com/forum/viewtopic ... ight=#3100

My first reactions to this new post (which may be wrong if I've misinterpreted what you wrote) are these ....

Your description of stages which you begin \"I select the files from the draft video display...\" seems correct. I usually only use the subfolder method, but that's my personal preference.

You say that \"the framesy are not saved correctly...\" but I'm not sure what you mean - are you basing this comment on the fact that the subsequent imports go wrong? IF you mean that you think the export has failed because you \"see in the \" preview window\" that the image has been centered, and is large on the screen.\" then this is NOT a fault. The preview window does always seem to do that. It doesn't show you your image(s) in their original positions or their original scale. I just tested that to make sure I was right in describing it like that ... I created two frames - one with a tiny black blob in one corner and one with a big black blob. I exported them into a folder and then used 'Import frames from files'. In the preview window I saw two big blobs that were centred - but that was only the preview. They imported correctly.

The worrying and confusing bit is when you say that \"it is imported as a large image in the middle of the frame...\". In the light of my previous comment, the one thing this does suggest is that your problem is almost certainly caused when you import and not when you export.

Unless I'm actually trying to create a special effect when importing into a selected group of frames in the main project, my usual preferences are -
DESTINATION --------- selected frames
AS BACKGROUND ---- unchecked
FIT TO FRAME --------- unchecked
TO FRAME CENTRE --- unchecked

In your walkthrough, the comment that confused me was \"The frames are saved correctly as gif, tiff and jpegs, but you can't layer the image on top. \" Is this a separate problem because you previously referred to exporting sequences as ipa files? You CAN export in a range of formats, but ipa is the one I usually use for exporting and then importing animation sequences.

If you mean that some images can't be layered with transparency, then not all file types support that. Artoonix works well with transparent png files - although some other programs which save images as pngs must use a slightly different format because not ALL png images seem to preserve transparency when imported into Artoonix --- but that may well be a different issue.

Post subject: importing ans exporting
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:21 pm 

Thanx KayNine,

Yeah, well I never tried it with all the boxes unchecked :oops:
that worked!
Thanx for the test on the export-that is what threw me off- the preview frame showing a centered image....

You are the best
Cheers
EV

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:04 am 

ev wrote:
what threw me off- the preview frame showing a centered image

I assume it's done that way in case what you're trying to import is a really small (or very large) image, so everything is scaled to fit the preview screen, regardless of it's actual size in your own own animation.

Here's one other effect to be aware of that I often encounter and which is caused by the same feature .... quite often, I create a tweened sequence in which a large image shrinks to a dot. I have then often reversed it before exporting it because in my main project I want the image to grow in size. (eg: a car, plane or figure approaching as if from the far distance). When the whole sequence is about to be imported, the preview naturally shows the first frame - the one in which the image is tiny. What is seen is just a confusing mish-mash of pixels because, of course, the actual detail of the original object has been lost as part of the tween-shrinking process. This wouldn't be anywhere near so noticeable if Artoonix used vector graphics, but it doesn't.

So, the moral of this tale is .... only use the preview window as a rough guide to check that you're about to import the correct sequence of images. If you're unsure, just click on an image later on in the sequence and the preview will change. By saving your sequences into named folders, none of this should be a problem anyway.

Even so, I'm always in favour of having previews whenever and wherever possible, it's just a case of understanding the reality of what they show you.

Glad you've now solved your problem.