Artoonix

Your creation, your inspiration
It is currently Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:06 am 

I often comment on how good the sound functions are in Artoonix, especially when it comes to synchronising sound to movement with a 1:1 level of accuracy.

My latest upload in the series which are tributes to the now-closed guitar shop 'Baroque and Roll' is a case in point.

I originally had to use a video-capture program to grab the video of the guitarist off the shop's website. (I had permission). I then had to use a separate program to grab the audio. To put them back together in Artoonix, they had to be imported separately and then re-aligned using the superbly accurate editing tools in the .wav or mp3 display.

The latest upload gave me a problem because the music starts playing a long time before you see the guitarist's fingers, so I had no clue (or cue) with which to work. So in the latest upload I worked backwards and used the very last note that he plays.

What you see are his left hand fingers plucking the strings. I was able to edit the stretch of silence at the start by cutting and extending and then clicking on the waveform for that last note until I heard the sound exactly at the moment when the fingers plucked the strings. There was no need to keep playing the video all the way through. With the sound functions, I could flip from start to finish in a second to run each test.

When the last note was heard and 'seen' at the same moment, I played the whole movie and everything was automatically synchronised. How's that for superb sound functions???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOs6Ax5luSQ

One tip - if you try anything like this, don't mess with frame timings. Just import your video and leave Artoonix to set the fps. Then import your soundtrack and all you'll have to do is play with any stretch of silence at the start until you get sound and video to match at the start or end .... everything else will then be synchronised.

Wonderful.