Artoonix

Your creation, your inspiration
It is currently Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:58 am 

I've uploaded what will be the first of several tributes to my favourite small guitar shop which has had to close its doors because of the credit crunch.

To do this, I used two excellent 'grabbers' to acquire audio and movie extracts direct from the shop's website (with the owner's permission), plus a set of my own photographs.

Artoonix was pushed to the limit to make this, ending up with a project file in excess of 8gb - but apart from that, it was ideal for this type of task.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWn2lO1AW8Q

I've also grabbed lots of other guitar demos from the website and, over the coming year, will be turning these into mini-movies inbetween my own animation projects.

Hope you enjoy the tribute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:12 pm 

Great movie. I like the text move at the end.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:09 pm 

Amazing.... Incredible!! Can I ask you if you imported all the frames of the shopskeeper (while is playing) one by one??? It looks as a neverending nightmare!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:33 pm 

Pennaz91 wrote:
Can I ask you if you imported all the frames of the shopskeeper (while is playing) one by one

No. I'd have fried my brain if I tried doing that frame by frame. Even so, the final project file was over 8gb and my computer CPU could only just cope. Editing was VERY slow in the final stages.

I used a grabber to record the movie of him playing direct from the website. I then used an excellent audio grabber to get the sound (there was no way to download it directly as a wav or mp3).

In Artoonix, I imported the video after the intro section. Then I imported the audio and simply used Artoonix's superb sound functions to put the two back into sync.

I have grabbed many more demos and over the coming months will make more mini-movies. These will be named after the guitars he demonstrates but will also contain brief notes about the shop and website - both of which closed down today.

It was a wonderful shop. I bought from him online and also travelled there on one occasion to meet him (and buy more instruments). I also helped to moderate the shop's website whilst it was up and running.

Glad you liked the movie - I especially enjoyed making the parts where you 'saw' through the shop window and also the part where the beating heart was overlaid over his T-shirt.

Thanks for the comment on Youtube..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:33 pm 

Could you explain a little more about the import of the video? I'm really curious since it would be usefull to put an entire video into artoonix to edit it directly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:52 am 

It's very easy but - be warned - it's very, VERY slow.

Go to IMPORT FRAMES
You have two options - IMPORT FRAMES FROM FILES (Ctrl + F)
and also ----------------- IMPORT FRAMES FROM MOVIE (Ctrl + M)

The first, as you will probably know, is for importing any sequence of images in formats such as jpg, bmp, png or - most usefully - as ipa files already created with Artoonix. (That's what I use in almost all my projects)

TO IMPORT A MOVIE -
(1) Make sure you're at the point in your project where the movie has to appear.
(2) Locate and click on the movie that you presumably have on your hard drive, memory stick or memory card.
(3) A new window opens showing a preview screen and a range of options.
(4) Play with the two adjuster-sliders beneath the preview window which allow you to choose where your import will start and end. (You can import just part of a movie file if you want to).
(5) Select which option(s) you want from the right hand side of the window.
(6) Choose OK and - if it's a long import - go and do some shopping or something because the import will take a long, long time. It's a terribly slow process.

Remember that you can't import avis etc with transparency, so movie imports usually need to be used as backgrounds UNLESS you then alter their size so that they can become inserts within a scene. (eg: you could import a movie extract and make it seem to be showing on a small TV screen in your frame.)

You can also import GIF movies but not SWF.

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:41 pm 

Absolutely! Does it chooses the right size to fit the video into the frames or, like in photoes, it unchanges it and makes it sometimes WAY bigger than the frame's screen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:24 pm 

Pennaz91 wrote:
Does it chooses the right size to fit the video into the frames .. ?

For both movie and image imports you can choose 'fit to screen' but you may not get what you expect, so you also need to experiment with the extra option to 'preserve proportions'.

BUT - you CAN avoid having a massive image or sequence of images which then have to be adjusted with Height/Width controls in 'Modify objects'.

In the guitar shop movie, the two avis of the guitarist were actually imported to fit the width of the frame, but they ended up not as deep - so a black background was placed behind them all.