Artoonix

Your creation, your inspiration
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New online film contest!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:25 am 

Hey there,

We’ve got a new website up and running that you may be interested in.

www.docsniper.com is a site that runs monthly themed film competitions.

Basically you upload your films into the contest each month, cross your fingers that yours is voted the best….and win the jackpot!

We’ve had our first winners announced so there is proof that we put our money where our mouth is. Check them out at www.docsniper.com and if you think you can do better then get entering!

This months theme is Red, as long as your film or video has something red in it, you can enter.

Too easy,

Doc Sniper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:05 am 

The basic premise is that you pay a fee to enter and a proportion of each payment is put into a pot as the prize. Films have to be videos but could, presumably, be edited using animation as inserts or overlays. You'll find more info here -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJovl1eYcuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BViqmy1UNAI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:11 am 

Yep, that's it in a nutshell.
We've got a couple of animations that have already been uploaded but none entered in our current comp, so that's more encouragement to get entering I guess!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:13 pm 

From what I've seen on the DocSniper site, the emphasis is on video uploads and good though Artoonix is, I'm not sure that many users would be able to produce a movie to compete against what often seems to be very competent film making. Maybe Pennaz91 could do it as he does tend to make movies in the truer sense of the word.

It's unclear whether 100% animation would be a valid category - or might there eventually be a sub-category for animated movies? (But remember you'd then be up against Flash, Anime Studio Pro etc. and although Artoonix is excellent, it doesn't come close to matching programs like those).

I've experimented with Artoonix as a means of editing and overlaying vdeo, but it's VERY laborious and pretty tricky to compete against the dedicated software out there that is designed for that type of work.

It will be interesting to see if any Artoonix user feels able to upload something into the DocSniper competition, and to see how they get on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:25 pm 

Hey, there is absolutely no reason why an entirely animated piece wouldn't qualify, in fact I should let you all know that at the moment there are zero entries. This is why I have been visiting various relevant forums, trying to let people know about us. So there is a VERY good chance of winning if anyone were to enter. I personally have a background in animation so would warmly encourage animation entries.

Here is a quick update that I've been posting on other forums...

It's now been a few weeks since the new docsniper.com RED comp has been up and running and we still don't have any submissions to win a the $1,000 dollars. We have over 163 members (which is great) and that means you all took the time and effort of joining up (good on you) but no one is entering into the competitions...why?? Surely it can't be the entry fee ....$10 bucks, come on my grandmother can afford that, so what is it? Is the comp too hard? Is the prize to low a $1,000 for $10? Would you rather the prize be less? Or be something else? In fact, to get the ball rolling the first person who enters into this month’s comp (from today on) will get a FREE ENTRY

And if you can get 10 friends to submit to the you'll receive a GUARANTEED $100, that FREE ENTRY for you, $100 for you and the real chance of also winning another $1,000 but HURRY because this offer is on the table until midnight this FRIDAY 16th of October 2009

Doc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:20 am 

OK, Artoonix users .... I've had a good look round the DocSniper website and I'm pretty sure it's genuine, but I had problems actually watching some of the uploads. Maybe you need a particular codec installed, or an up-to-the-minute and state-of-the-art system (though I doubt it).

I'd like to suggest that others in this forum test it to see if they find the same as I did:

http://www.docsniper.com/

I tried clicking on several uploaded movies and found that some played; that some loaded a still image but nothing then happened; and some loaded a blank black screen. I uploaded an early animation by linking to the Youtube location. A screenshot thumbnail appears and the Youtube URL is displayed, but nothing plays.

I do suspect that something somewhere in my own system is a bit 'hinkey' because I've had a few problems uploading reviews to a guitar site that I belong to, but on the whole things usually do work.

So can I suggest that a few other members of this forum visit DocSniper and try testing some of the uploaded videos? .
Please add any comments or findings to this thread as that's the one being watched by Doc.

The idea behind the website looks good and it's definitely worth a look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:04 am 

Awesome thanks for doing that! It would be great if we could get other members to do some testing as obviously we want to know if there are issues with the site.

Will look into the problems that you have mentioned.
Can you let me know any names of specific videos that you had problems with?

Doc